The fact that a laptop no longer turns on is a common occurrence. In many cases the problem can be solved quickly. If your device won’t start or boot, the screen stays black or beeps strangely, we have some suggestions for you to get it working again.
Laptops and notebooks are mobile devices that are very often powered by a single battery. If such a laptop doesn’t start anymore, it may have something to do with the power supply and ultimately with your settings. As long as there is no hardware defect, you will be able to get your laptop running again in most cases.
My dell laptop wont boot up ! Here are the possible reasons:
1. Empty Battery of a Dell Laptop
If your laptop won’t turn on even though there was plenty of juice in the battery last time, it may be because the battery has continued to discharge since then. This can happen especially if you have configured your laptop to not turn off when you close it. Also the “save energy” mode continues to consume power to keep the working state in RAM when closing. On the other hand, the “sleep mode” ensures that the status quo is saved to the hard disk before the laptop really shuts down.
- Plug your power cord into your laptop and connect it to the power outlet.
- Try to start it up again.
- If nothing happens, but at least the charging LED on the device lights up, you should wait about 10 to 30 minutes before you try to start it again.
- If that doesn’t work either, charge the battery completely and then try again.
Normally, the laptop should start even if the battery is completely empty when it is connected to the mains. However, some devices “conduct” the working current through the battery and require a minimum charge before they start up again.
2. Battery Problems of Dell Laptop:
If this tip did not help, it may be due to the battery. Here are a few other solutions in case your laptop does not turn on because of the battery:
- For replaceable batteries (which can be replaced without opening the device), check the fit of the battery. They are usually secured by one or two sliding holders, both of which must be firmly closed. Pull them open, remove the battery, push it back in and press the holders firmly closed.
- Built-in batteries sometimes have the problem that they are moved by movements of the laptop. Then the contacts do not fit properly and the laptop will not turn on. In this case you have to open the flap with a screwdriver (in some cases also with a coin), remove the battery and insert it again so that it slides loosely and without tilting into the device. Then secure the flap again and try to restart the unit.
- Sometimes battery contacts can corrode (a kind of rust), which makes them not conduct properly. This happens, for example, in environments with high humidity – or if you put it in a puddle or pour coffee over it. In this case, remove the battery and clean the contacts on the battery and inside the device with an alcohol-soaked cotton swab. Rub vigorously until discoloration is removed. Then remove any remaining moisture and re-insert the battery. Now check whether it can be charged normally (charging LED) and whether the laptop turns on again after some time.
If this is not the case, the battery may be damaged. Hope that nothing else has broken! Then you have to get a replacement battery and install it. If the laptop still does not turn on, take it to a repair service.
Dell Laptop apparently starts, but the screen stays black
The laptop turns on and you hear a hard drive noise and the fan. You may even hear the Windows startup sound, but the screen remains black. This is either due to a laptop malfunction or hardware damage. If the display or graphics card is defective, you will need to call a repair service. But try something else first.
Laptops almost always have the possibility to connect an additional screen. But since usually only one of the two displays should be running, you can switch that. You can do this in the Windows settings, but also on the laptop itself.
How you can activate the screen on the Dell laptop again:
- On the keyboard there are mostly keys which are printed with blue symbols and you can switch between them by pressing a blue key printed with “Fn” simultaneously.
- Search for a key that contains a screen. Press it to switch between the built-in display and the external display interface.
- If everything works, the screen should come on.
It’s a bit more problematic if you accidentally turned off the internal screen in Windows and turned on a non-existent second screen.
This is easy to do if you press the Windows key + P at the same time and click, for example, on “Second screen only”. You can get out of this situation by actually connecting a second screen to your laptop and undoing the Windows settings. You may need to activate the second screen interface on your laptop as well, as described above.
Hardware damage: Dell Laptop won’t turn on because it’s broken
If a laptop does not turn on and none of the above tips have helped, then you must assume a hardware failure. This can have many causes: Starting with a defective hard disk, a processor or motherboard damage, a defective power supply or water damage.
Some defects are signalled on a laptop by so-called BIOS beeps – the link leads to our list of beep codes. A continuous beep can indicate a power supply damage, while one long and two short beeps indicate a problem with the graphics card.
The bottom line is that most people don’t benefit from this anyway, which is why we once again recommend putting the laptop in the hands of a capable professional. If it’s not worth it anyway due to the age of the device, but there’s still important data on the hard drive, you can remove it and make an “external hard drive” out of it with a hard drive dock. Such devices cost around 30 USD on Amazon. You simply plug in the removed hard drive, connect the hard drive dock to another computer with a USB cable, and then you can access all your data just like on an external hard drive. This also solves the problem of safely deleting your data before you dispose of the defective laptop.
When nothing works: Recover the data of Dell Laptop
If the solutions do not work, you should create a backup of your data. If you got into the BIOS in the previous step, but could not start Windows, you may still be able to recover your data using a free small operating system that you must first burn to a CD.
- Download the free “Knoppix” operating system on another PC with CD/DVD drive. It is only 700 MByte large and therefore fits perfectly on a normal CD.
- Now the downloaded ISO file must be copied onto a blank CD. If you already have a copy of the software installed on your PC, you can use it. Here we explain briefly how to burn the CD with the CDBurnerXP.
- Once “CDBurnerXP” is downloaded and installed, it will start automatically. Click on the “Copy ISO Image” button and click on the “Browse” button in the new window. Select the downloaded ISO file. Finally, you can create the CD by clicking on the “Copy medium” button.
- Insert the CD into the laptop that won’t start and boot it. “Knoppix” starts by itself. After about three to five minutes you will have an operating system that is relatively similar to Windows. You can now back up the data from your hard drive to a USB stick or an external hard drive.
Dell Inspiron 15 Review
Because there is no fan, the Dell Inspiron 15 works especially quietly and shows a good endurance. The test reveals where the notebook still shows off and where it is weak.
Using heavy programs in office, but still enjoy the silence? That should be possible with the Dell Inspiron 15 (3582-0J8V2). The magic: The notebook, which costs about 400 USD, comes without a noisy fan. That is why it remains silent even under full work load. The device drew attention with this feature in the comparison review of notebooks starting at 300 USD. Where else is the device convincing?
Design of Dell Inspiron 15
Externally there is little to criticise. The plain black fits well in a briefcase. The weight could be problematic. The Dell notebook comes with a 15.6-inch screen (39.6 cm), but weighs quite a lot: The device weighs just under 1.9 kilograms. You can already feel that in the backpack.
The screen offers a resolution of 1920×1080 pixels and thus a sufficiently sharp image.
Nice: The surface hardly reflects at all, the contrasts are very high, the illumination is even. Prints are available for the low color fidelity. Furthermore, the display is strongly dependent on the viewing angle. If the user looks at the screen at an angle, he sees the contents darker. The colors change from a larger angle.
Performance of Dell Inspiron 15
As in some other notebooks in this price range, the Intel Pentium N5000 is also used in the Dell Inspiron 15. As mentioned at the beginning, it doesn’t need a fan and offers enough performance for the office. The laptop performs office tasks accordingly fast. The Dell isn’t suitable as a gaming notebook in return. Current games only run with two to a maximum of six frames per second, even at a lower resolution. A smooth gaming experience looks different. Video editing is basically possible, but users have to have a lot of patience. If you’re looking for a notebook for such tasks, you’re better off with more expensive models like the Acer Swift 3.
The SSD memory of the Dell notebook effectively amounts to 238 gigabytes (GB). Those who need more space for photos, videos or the music library can upgrade to a 2.5 inch hard disk via a free slot. External hard disks find room at the two USB 3.1 ports and the USB 2.0 socket, SD and MMC cards end up in the card reader. The situation is somewhat different with the main memory. An upgrade is basically possible. However, the 4 GB module can only be exchanged for one with a maximum of 8 GB. There is also an HDMI and a headphone connection on board.
Battery life of Dell Inspiron 15
The battery life is specified by the manufacturer as up to nine hours. The Dell didn’t reach this mark in the test, but with 5:29 hours it is possible to work on the notebook for more than half a working day without a power outlet. It’s one hour less when watching movies. Thus, the 266 gram power adapter belongs in the luggage on longer journeys so that the time on the bus and train doesn’t become long.
What we like about the Dell Inspiron 15
The Dell Inspiron 15 is quite lavishly equipped in the present configuration. The core is the Intel Core i7-8550U, which clearly outshines previous generations with 4 cores and a turbo clock rate of up to 4.0 gigahertz. There is hardly any lack of performance even for demanding users. Add to this a lush 16 gigabytes of RAM and an SSD, which is very large with 512 gigabytes of storage space. Further equipment highlights are the 360° hinge and the touch display, because the device can not only be operated with a finger, but also used as a – admittedly quite large – tablet. The connections are of notebook standard: 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, HDMI, webcam, SD card reader and a backlit keyboard.
Conclusion of Dell Inspiron 15
The Dell Inspiron 15 does exactly what it’s supposed to for 400 USD. The speed is enough for office use, the notebook lasts long in battery mode. In return, weaknesses become apparent in the display. If you value a silent operation and can also cope with a smaller display, you can take a look at the 14 inch Medion Akoya E4251 (MD61561) – and save a few Dollars.