How To Play Minecraft With Friends From Far Away
Minecraft is probably the best known voxel sandbox computer game. Similar to Lego, you can build buildings, railroads and more with blocks. You fight against monsters and try to become stronger and stronger. You can also do all this in multiplayer with your friends.
Every day new servers are created, which are advertised in fan forums and invite people to join in. Meanwhile there are several hundred of these servers, which are also available around the clock. So, to dive into the multiplayer mode of Minecraft, you don’t need your own server.
The offered server lists are long, and each one lures with interesting features. While some servers offer an unchanged, single-player feel, most others focus on the free, unlimited building of impressive creations. As a player, you will be given all available resources, or you can even create them yourself using the Ch(e)at command. Other servers provide Minecraft with an economic system that allows players to trade with each other.
But what if you only want to play with your friends in private?
If you want to play Minecraft with your friends in multiplayer, you have the possibility to do so via your own server. But first you will be on your local network. This means that, at the moment, only you and the people who are connected to the same router or within your local LAN connection can access this server and the Minecraft world you have created. However, if you wish to allow friends outside your local network to play online, you will need to allow the router to use the appropriate port. Your IP address, which you need, is not enough. How to find out your IP, create the server and release the port is explained in the following text.
Play online with friends in multiplayer – Create server
Creating a local Minecraft server is very easy. Here is the Answer:
- Once you have started Minecraft, click on Single Player.
- Now select “New World”. Think about a good name for your own server and choose the game mode.
- if you want to make further settings, click on “More world options“. Here you can define how your world should look like and if cheats are allowed.
- Click on “Done” and create your new world. Alternatively, you can also use an existing world.
- After the game has finished loading, press the ESC key (Escape) to enter the menu.
- Click on “Open in LAN“. Here you can change the mode again and reconsider your settings for cheats.
- Then click on “Start LAN World”.
The chat window in the lower left will now show you which port Minecraft has placed your LAN server on. Remember the five-digit number. You will need this number to share the server with your friends on the internet.
Multiplayer: Find out the IP address and release the port
In order for players who are not on your LAN to access your local server, you will need to enable your Minecraft server in your router for access from the Internet.
The process of setting up port sharing or port forwarding varies greatly from router manufacturer to router manufacturer, but it follows the same pattern. Please refer to your router’s manual to find out exactly where to find these options.
Log into the administration interface of your router. You can access this by entering the IP address of your router in your browser. The address usually looks like this: 192.168.xxx.1, where xxx often has the value 1, 2 or 178.
If you don’t know the address of the router, you can find it with the Windows onboard tools:
- Press the key combination Windows key + R.
- In the run window write “cmd” and press “Enter”.
- Now the Windows command prompt opens.
- Here you write the command “ipconfig” and press “Enter” again.
- You will see a list with the entry “Default gateway“. The IP address displayed there is the IP address of the router.
- Enter it in the address line of your browser and open its administration interface.
Navigate to the port forwarding page and add a new one. Select “TCP” as type. For Internal and External ports, enter the port Minecraft showed you when you created the LAN server. Finally, enter the IP address of your own machine as the destination. You can find this out in the same way as for the router. Save the settings and restart the router if necessary.
How Can You Play With Friends On Minecraft Java Edition
What is the Minecraft Java Edition?
The Java Edition of Minecraft is the original version of the game and is developed by Mojang AB for Windows, Mac OS and Linux in the Java programming language. Markus Persson (Notch) began development of the game on May 10, 2009 and released the first version on May 17, 2009, and the full version of the game was finally released at MineCon 2011 on November 18, 2011. This version is compatible across all operating systems. So it does not matter wether you have Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, macOS, or Linux. It works across all systems without any problems.
How To Play Multiplayer in Minecraft?
If you want to play together in Minecraft in multiplayer, there are several ways to do this. Maybe you want to play in Multiplayer mode together with your friends and many other players online. These are the different options you have for this:
- You set up a “Dedicated Server” that runs day and night, where you and your friends can join at any time. To do this, download the Minecraft Server .jar file and start it first. Then accept the EULA by changing the value at the bottom of the euler file created by the server from false to true. Then restart the server and it should run properly. This is very ressource inefficient as you have to run the server day and night if you want it to be available for all your friends to play on.
- If you want to play Minecraft with someone else on the same network, start Minecraft as usual. Create a new world or load a score. Now press Escape and then press Open to Lan twice. The game will now get a port, which will be shown in the chat window. It is now available on the local network. This is the best option if you want to play with your friends on a Lan party. It is esay to set up and everyone can participate.
- Another possibility is to use an external public server. There may be costs for the server, which you can share with your friends. Depending on the provider these costs vary, but you will receive support if there are problems with the server. However you need to be aware that all your game progress is saved on an external server of a third party and in case of downtime you might not be able to access your Minecraft world.
The Best Minecraft Server Hosting Collated From Reddit
The social media aggregator Reddit is a true gold mine when it comes to video game information and tutorials. That’s why we collated the most important threads and found the best Server Hosting Services for Minecraft from Reddit.
Which server vendor is the best for Minecraft Server?
You can see which server hosting provider is the best in less than a minute in our free Minecraft Server Test and Price Comparison. Please note that it always depends on your personal preferences and requirements. The offers you find in our test and comparison, offer you the best overall package. That means you get a server with a very good price-performance ratio. We have the prices per slot or per GB RAM with the included services and features offered by the host, such as DDOS protection, RAM (main memory), server location, reliability and performance of the servers, usability of the web interface. In addition, we have also taken into account points such as support and the ratings by other customers in our test results. Rent now a powerful Minecraft server at a low price from the test winner and be convinced by the excellent price-performance ratio.
What does a Minecraft Server cost per month?
The costs for a Minecraft Server depend on the hosting provider and on the server configuration you choose. Besides the number of slots, factors such as additional memory, server type (clan or public), FastDownload, MySQL database, branding and the rental period play a role. Almost all server hosters offer you so-called term discounts, so you can save up to 20% per month depending on the server provider. If you are still sure whether you will play the game for a longer period of time, you should rent the server for 3 or 6 months.
How long do I have to rent a Minecraft server?
Almost all server hosting providers have a minimum lease period of 30 days. Only Zap-Hosting and Playeffect offer the possibility to rent a server for 7 days or 14 days. The rule is: The longer you rent a server, the cheaper it is for you. Discounts of up to 15 % and more are possible. If you are clever, you can combine the so-called term discounts with other vouchers and discounts. Especially if you play a lot with friends or in a clan, you can really save money. But you should be aware that many server hosting providers only give these vouchers and discounts to new customers. This means for you, when you rent a Minecraft server for the first time, you should choose a long term rental.
Is my Minecraft Server always online?
No matter which server hosting provider you choose, your server and game world will always be online. Even if you have turned off your computer or console or there are no players on the server. This has the advantage that your friends, clan members or other players can access your Minecraft server at any time. Of course, as a tenant of the server you have complete control over the server.
Can I change the game on my server?
Usually a game change is possible on all server hosters. Depending on the provider, the change of the game can be free of charge or you will be charged a fee (once). In addition, all hosters will make a slot or RAM adjustment when changing the game. So it can be that you have more or less slots or RAM after the change of the game. So it is no use to rent a cheap game and then switch to an expensive one to save money. Best you decide for our test winner and make sure that you get an excellent price-performance ratio from the beginning.
Compare the best Minecraft Server deals for free:
As you may have noticed, there is a wide range of server hosters in the world. So you don’t have to spend hours comparing prices per slot, memory, security, hardware, web interface, DDoS protection and contract terms, our Minecraft Server experts have done it for you.
What features does a Minecraft Server offer?
Which features the server offers depends on the server provider and on the server configuration you ordered. Here is a short list of features that come standard with almost all servers. If a feature of your server is especially important to you, you should check with your hosting provider before you order to see if it is available and if it is already included or if you will incur additional costs. Usually the servers are equipped in a way that you and your friends can start gambling immediately without having to install or configure anything.